If you are charged with a DUI/DWI in New Mexico, you face several consequences including but not limited to jail time, fines, community service, probation and more. One penalty that can cause a great deal of inconvenience for you is license suspension. If you face DUI charges, the best thing you can do for your future and financial well-being is retain the help of an experienced and award-winning DWI defense attorney in Albuquerque.
Periods of DMV Suspension for DUI
For how long the state of New Mexico will suspend your license depends on a number of factors, including but not limited to your BAC at the time of arrest, the number of prior convictions on your record, whether you caused harm to another individual or property and whether or not you submitted to the breath test. Below is a brief overview of New Mexico’s license suspension periods:
Criminal Conviction of a DWI
- 1st offense = One-year revocation
- 2nd offense = Two-year revocation
- 3rd offense = Three-year revocation
- 4th offense = Lifetime revocation
- Don’t worry, hope is not lost. You can still drive if an interlock device is installed in any vehicle you drive.
Implied Consent Violation
- 1st and subsequence offenses for those under 21 = One-year revocation
- 1st offense for those of age = Six-month revocation for failing a chemical test
- 1st offense = One-year revocation for refusing a chemical test
- 2nd or subsequent offense = One-year revocation for failing or refusing a chemical test
- 1st offense = One-year disqualification
- 2nd offense = Lifetime disqualification
Commercial drivers are subject to these penalties regardless of whether or not they were in a commercial vehicle at the time of arrest.
Your Defense To DMV Suspension and Other Penalties
License suspension can negatively impact several areas of your life. From the inability to obtain gainful employment to difficulties picking up your children from school to troubles accessing necessities such as healthcare and everyday supplies, a suspended license can make everyday living much more difficult than it needs to be. An experienced DWI defense attorney is prepared to fight the charges against you and, if an conviction is inevitable, argue for reduced penalties. For the best possible outcome to your DUI case, contact the attorneys at Simon A. Kubiak, Attorneys at Law, PC, as soon after your arrest as possible.